Did you know that ONE IN FOUR women will experience a pregnancy or infant loss in her lifetime? You may be surprised to hear this. In comparison, one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. Both are so important, yet our society struggles with talking about the issues surrounding pregnancy & infant loss. The TEARS Foundation wants to break the silence about pregnancy and infant loss.
Here are some things you can do when you have a friend, family member, or co-worker who experiences a pregnancy or infant loss:
1. Take action! Bring meals, mow their lawn, help with other children, etc.
2. Talk with them about their baby and use their baby’s name.
3. Stay away from cliches. “Everything happens for a reason.”, “At least you have other children.”, “God needed another angel.”, etc.
4. Listen. And LISTEN some more.
5. Value their baby. Recognize anniversary dates and acknowledge the family at those times.
Together we can break the silence and allow families who experience this type of loss to feel supported and comforted by those in our community.
TEARS foundation Newsletter Volume 1 Issue 5 February 26, 2013 – Volume #1 – Issue #5